Monday, March 01, 2004

The Vegetarian 5-Ingredient Gourmet

Nava Atlas is my new best friend

I recently received a gift certificate to Amazon.com, so I decided to buy something that had been lingering about on my wish list for quite some time. Ever since The Vegetarian 5-Ingredient Gourmet arrived on my doorstep, I've been kicking myself for not buying it sooner.

This cookbook is just right for Lazy Vegetarians like me. Nava Atlas seems to care about the same things I care about -- including lots of nutrients and fiber, avoiding fats and over-processed foods, quick-and-easy preparation, and out-of-the ordinary taste. The vast majority of ingredients she uses can be found in a regular supermarket, so very few trips to the natural foods store are required. All the recipes include 5 ingredients or less, making preparation and clean-up a snap. Though some of the recipes exceed my self-proclaimed "20 minutes in the kitchen" rule, in general they require 20 minutes or less of hands-on preparation; the extra time is for baking or simmering.

Here are a few of the recipes I can't wait to try: Curried Red Lentil and Spinach Soup, Avocado and Pinto Bean Salad, Farfalle with Mushrooms, Baked Risotto, Shake-and-Bake Tofu, Chicken-Style Tofu Fajitas, and Curried Sweet Potatoes with Spinach and Chickpeas. Yummy!